Vendor Licensing

As of Sept. 6, 2012, there are now two different types of Vendor's Licenses in the state of Ohio. Both of them cost $25.  The following should help you decide which license to purchase for your business:

Regular County Vendor's License - This type of license is required when selling an actual product at a permanent location. Additionally, vendors that provide services should apply for this license if they have a fixed place of business in the county. Delivery vendors should also purchase a county vendor's license. There is a printable application at the bottom of this section which may be filled in and mailed back to our office (with payment enclosed) or filled in and returned to our office in person. Checks should be made out to the Butler County Treasurer's Office.

Transient Vendor's License - This type of license is required for any vendor that does not maintain a fixed business location. This includes vendors that travel throughout the state with a stock of goods or those who sell at festivals and flea markets. This license is good throughout the state of Ohio.  You can purchase this license through the Ohio Department of Taxation 1-888-405-4089 (sales tax), or you can purchase Online through the Ohio Business Gateway (

Note: Delivery vendors should obtain a county license and report tax at the rate in effect at the business location where the vendor receives the order. Service providers (such as landscapers) must charge and collect tax at the rate in effect in the county where the service is performed.  Questions regarding the proper collection and remission of sales tax should be directed to the Ohio Department of Taxation.

There is no renewal fee for any type of vendor's license and vendors who currently are operating under a service or delivery vendor's license will continue to make sales using their current license.

Regular County Vendor License Application (fillable form)
(Complete the form, print and mail to: Butler County Auditor's Office, Vendor License, 130 High St., Hamilton OH 45011. Make checks payable to the Butler County Treasurer.)
License and Filing Requirements (Ohio Department of Taxation)
Frequent Questions About Vendor's Licenses Answered

Cancelling a Vendor License: If a vendor stops making taxable retail sales, a final return must be filed with the Ohio Department of Taxation and all taxes must be paid within 15 days of the final sale. Vendors must complete the space provided on the final return, indicating the last day of business. If you have questions regarding this process, please call the Ohio Department of Taxation at 1-888-405-4089.

Contacting the Auditor's Office: For vendor license questions, call 513-887-3154.

Vendor License Search
The Ohio Secretary of State maintains a list of businesses in the state. To do a search, follow this link: Business Search

Changing Your Business Location?
If a vendor moves an existing place of business to another location in the county, the vendor may either purchase a new vendor’s license or submit a request to transfer the existing license to the new location. The request form may be obtained from either the Auditor’s Office or the Ohio Department of Taxation. There is no fee to transfer the license.

A new license is required if there is a change in ownership: sole proprietor to partnership, corporation to sole proprietor, partnership to sole proprietor, etc.
Vendor Transfer Form (Change of Address) 

Questions About Starting a New Business?
Getting Started in Ohio, Ohio Business Gateway
Opening a New Business, Ohio Secretary of State
Employer ID (Federal Tax ID) Numbers Explained, IRS
Business Filing Forms, Ohio Secretary of State
How to Apply for a Liquor Permit, Ohio Dept. of Commerce
Information on Motor Vehicle Dealer's License Process, Ohio BMV
Pawnbrokers & Precious Metals Dealers, Ohio Dept. of Commerce
Pawnbroker application kit
Temporary Food Service License, County Board of Health
Auctioneer Guide, Ohio Department of Agriculture
County Plumbing Permit

Sales and Use Tax Information
(Butler County Sales Tax Rate is 6.5%)
General Sales Tax Information, Ohio Dept. of Taxation
Business Taxes, How do I ..., Ohio Dept. of Taxation
FAQs - Sales & Use Tax, Ohio Dept. of Taxation
Food Definition, Ohio Dept. of Taxation
Sales Tax Exemption for Ohio Farms, OSU Extension
Sales and Use Tax Forms, Ohio Dept. of Taxation
Construction Contracts & Exemption Certificates
Contact Information for Ohio Dept. of Taxation
6.5% Tax Rate Schedule
County-by-County Sales Tax Rate Map, Ohio Dept. of Taxation
Commercial Activity Tax (Ohio Department of Taxation)


                 Butler County Auditor
                 130 High Street
                 Hamilton, OH  45011

                 Map Location


                 Board of Commissioners

Office Hours
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Mon. - Fri.

Conveyance Desk
closes daily at 3:30 PM

Phone: 513-887-3154